The Grounds Department is a division of the UIC Facilities Management Department providing a safe and aesthetically pleasing outdoor experience within an urban setting for students, staff, and visitors. The Grounds Department provides daily maintenance of campus exterior landscape, sidewalks, parking lots, intramural, recreational, and NCAA fields as well as snow removal from campus sidewalks.
For urgent service requests, please call Facilities Customer Support at (312) 996-7511.
Contact the Grounds Department
|Main Grounds Office||6-2844 or (312) 996-2844|
|Superintendent of Grounds - Carly Rizor||6-4647 or (312) firstname.lastname@example.org|
Grounds oversees (45) employees, including two foremen and two gardeners/sub-foremen. The department maintains approximately (250) acres, (4,240) trees, (90) miles of sidewalk, (400) waste containers, (5) parking structures and (34) surface parking lots. The services provided include:
- Mowing (90) acres of turf, recreational and athletic fields
- Trimming shrubs and hedges
- Pruning and removal of trees, working cooperatively with Arborists
- Maintaining annual and perennial landscape beds and containers
- Weeding and licensed weed control activities
- Executing pothole repair
- Snow removal and ice control on all sidewalks
- Working cooperatively with horticulturists, landscape architects and contractors to plan and execute landscapes that are aesthetically pleasing and practical to maintain.
- Implementation and expansion of cloud based tree inventory and solar powered trash and recycling compactors.
- Maintain and monitor irrigation systems
- Removal of exterior biohazards
- Staffing and set up for exterior campus events
- Installation of landscape enhancements
- Integrated pest management
The University of Illinois at Chicago is among the few universities that participate in the Tree Campus USA program, which promotes effective tree management, campus community involvement, and nature connectivity among faculty members and students through forestry efforts.